Thursday, January 4, 2007

Law School Grades

Law school grades are a funny thing. Let me give you a little background on this post. All you need to know is I just got my grades back and I'm a little disappointed (little background).

So grades start pouring in. Of course they only give you the first three grades turned in. In my case, this was Property, Civ. Pro. and Torts. I'm nervous when I go to check them and come away feeling like crap but happy that I beat the median so far.

Property, the exam I left and felt the best about, was my worst grade. I don't know if it's the whole idea that if you left feeling good you missed stuff. Civ. Pro. I knew I did bad and I did ehh alright to bad. Realizing a hour into the exam that you have a 7 page fact pattern is a bad thing. Torts at the time I thought was my worst test next to the hated contracts and it turned out to be my best grade.

But they are funny because of the dynamic of a law school class. You have the students that immediately tell you their grades and then the students that say the cryptic statement of "I'm satisfied." I've also realized that the kids that do really well are the ones talking and the ones that didn't do so well are quiet or "satisfied."

So Christmas break is over and you're back to school with only 3 grades. That's real cute. Then a few days back you get one of the two grades back and your average goes from ehh to worse. With one grade still out, I am beginning to feel very apathetic to the whole thing. I guess I've realize the testing structure and that really what you do in class doesn't matter. All that matters is that week and half of studying and hell called exam time.

But I truck on and try to keep my spirits up. All while reading, studying and waiting for that next week and half of hell.

No comments: